Before performing any maintenance on your Cub Cadet lawn tractor, refer to your owner’s manual for maintenance instructions and safety information. Maintenance instructions vary by model, so depending on your lawn mower model our instructions may vary slightly.
Before working on your Cub Cadet mower, follow these safety precautions:
- Shut off the engine
- Allow the engine to become cool to the touch
- Disconnect the spark plug wire to prevent accidental starting
- To carry out this task, you’ll need these tools:
- 5/8 deep well socket
- Locate the spark plug on the side of the engine.
- Use your socket to loosen the spark plug. Loosen it and grab the spark plug on the end, and give it a couple more turns.
- Install the new spark plug.
- Replace the old spark plug with a manufacturer approved replacement part (refer to your Cub Cadet owner’s manual).
- Hold the spark plug on the end and stick it into the proper hole on the tractor.
- Turn the spark plug to the left to make sure that it is starting to thread in properly, but turn it to the right to tighten it.
- Tighten the spark plug by hand. By doing this, you can tell if the threads are going in correctly and won’t strip the threads out of the head of the engine. Tighten as much as you can and then put your socket back on the spark plug to tighten it all the way down. Give it an extra snug turn.
- If you are working with a twin-cylinder engine, repeat the same steps to change the spark plug on the other side of the machine. Once the spark plugs have been changed, reconnect the spark plug wire.